About the Scholarship
We will select 15 outstanding KIPP graduates to join the Amplify Scholars Program. iMentor will work closely with KIPP Through College staff to ensure scholars are building the knowledge and skills to thrive in college and beyond.
Amplify Scholars will receive:
- Stipends for critical expenses outside of tuition and room & board.
- A one-on-one mentor who will support them through their educational and professional pathways.
- An invitation to Amplify Scholars Academy, a 3-day retreat hosted in New York City to build skills, connections, and community.
Selected scholars should demonstrate the following qualities based on iMentor’s core values:
- Belief in the power of relationships: Demonstrated through experiences with mentoring, community building, or extracurricular opportunities.
- Leadership: Ability to inspire and lead others to action.
- Excellence: A record of academic achievement – GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Perseverance: Resilience and grit in the face of challenges.
- Civic Mindedness: Commitment to helping others and the larger world.
How to Apply
Graduating KIPP seniors must apply by March 15th, 2019 at 11:59pm PT. Application must include:
- A resume
- Academic records (including most recent transcript in senior year)
- Two reference letters (including a KIPP teacher or KIPP Through College advisor)
- A response to the following three prompts:
- Share the path you see for yourself during your college years and beyond.
- Describe a time in your life when having a mentor helped you overcome a challenge. Alternatively, describe a time when having a mentor would have been helpful in overcoming a challenge.
- At least two recent examples of when you have demonstrated one of these core values in your school, workplace, and/or community:
- Belief in the power of relationships
- Civic Mindedness
Amplify Scholars will be selected and announced by May 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions
Amplify Scholars will receive stipends to cover critical expenses including school year support and technology costs associated with summer enrichment opportunities.
Graduating KIPP seniors from all KIPP regions, including from our KIPP and Non-KIPP high schools, are welcome to apply. Ideal candidates should demonstrate iMentor’s core values, listed above.
We encourage applicants to make sure their application and essays demonstrate their leadership and civic mindedness in high school.
The application will remain open from December 20th, 2018 – March 15th, 2019.
No. 8th grade completers (KIPP middle school graduates) can also apply.
No. This program is only open to high school seniors, not KIPP alumni.
Yes! We encourage you to apply. Your citizenship status will not be taken into consideration during the selection process.
Yes. We require two references for this scholarship. References will be asked to submit a short letter through this online form by Friday, February 22nd.
We will inform all candidates about selection by email in March 2019.
Starting in December, iMentor and KIPP will hold monthly webinars for interested applicants to learn more about the program and have their questions answered. These sessions are scheduled for December 12, January 9, and February 1. If you have any other questions in the meantime, feel free to email Jorge Ochoa at email@example.com.
iMentor partners with public high schools across the country to match students who are first generation college-goers with a college-educated mentor. This 1:1 mentor relationship focuses on college persistence and success. Students in the iMentor program graduate college at nearly double the rate of their peers. They also develop powerful personal relationships with mentors, develop the skills and mindsets necessary for post-secondary success, and build strong links between high school performance, post-secondary pursuits, and their highest career aspiration. Since 1999, iMentor has supported 29,000 mentoring relationships. This year, iMentor will serve 8,411 students in 17 communities throughout the country.