About Next Up!
The KIPP Next Up! Competition is designed to provide the most promising KIPP alumni entrepreneurs with an opportunity to raise funding, network with experts, and gain exposure for their ventures. Application finalists will be invited to pitch their ideas at KIPP School Summit 2019, a forward-looking celebration of KIPP’s 25th Anniversary from July 29 – 31 in Houston, TX. Participation is free and includes personalized coaching for entrepreneurs to refine and practice their pitches.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leaders of non or for-profit ventures in any industry are welcomed to apply. Ideal candidates will fit the following criteria:
- Alumna/us of KIPP middle or high school
- 18 years or older
- Can submit a prototype of product or service for review
- Ambitious goals and vision to have an outsized impact
- Strong communication skills
- Commitment to attend all coaching and practice sessions, travel for in-person summit, and participate fully in the other components of the competition
- Models the KIPP character values
- Connections to KIPP’s network of 200+ investors, partners, community leaders, and industry experts
- Participants will compete for cash prizes; specific amounts are pending confirmation
- Personalized coaching to refine and practice pitches
- Paid travel and accommodations for participation in KIPP School Summit 2019
- Connections to the broader KIPP community and other Next Up! participants
- Passion: you live and breath the nature of your startup
- Purpose: your product or service is designed to solve a challenging problem
- Promise: the potential of your leadership and your startups impact is sky high
- Plan: you can effectively communicate a plan to bring your idea to fruition
The application will be open from October 8th – December 7th, 2018.
Yes. KIPP alumni who are KIPP employees and can submit a prototype of their product or service are welcomed to apply.
All KIPP alumni who are over 18 years old and can submit a prototype of their product or service are welcomed to apply.
- Step 1: Review competition information including the 1-page Overview and “Frequently Asked Questions”.
- Step 2: Apply here by Sunday December 7th at 11:59pm PT. To apply, you will be asked to submit three short responses and a 30-60 second video. Please note: you cannot start an application and submit later. Consider saving your answers in a separate document and submitting at one time.
Finalists will be selected and confirmed via email during January 2019.
There is no cost to participants. KIPP Foundation is pleased to cover travel, meals, lodging and materials for selected finalists.
October – December 2019: Application Window
December 7, 2019: Entrepreneur Applications Due
January 2019: Select entrepreneurs invited to pitch at KSS 2019!
February – June 2019: Pitch practice and coaching
July 29 – 31, 2019: Compete live and attend KSS 2019!
Participants are expected to spend approximately 10 hours per month from January – July preparing for the live competition. Participants are required to present their pitches at KIPP School Summit in Houston, TX on July 30th 2019.
Fill out an interest form and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org.