Therapy for KIPP Alumni
The National KIPP Alumni Network is proud to share that we are offering complimentary services to support your mental health and well-being. Spaces are limited, so take advantage of this opportunity now!
We’ve partnered with Talkspace to offer remote self-service and live mental health services.
Talkspace is an online therapy service that connects users to a dedicated, licensed therapist in their state of residence via messaging or live video. Users can regularly message their dedicated therapist via text, voice or video as life happens – anywhere, anytime. Therapists engage daily, five days per week. Founded with the mission to eliminate the stigma associated with mental health and make therapy available to all, Talkspace has a network of thousands of credentialed clinicians and has been used by over one million people.
What services are offered?
- (24) 30-minute sessions; 2 per month
- (1) 60-minute psychiatric evaluation; alums 18+ only
- Unlimited access to mental health resources
- Direct access to a dashboard for appointment scheduling
How will you determine which program is a better fit for me?
The program managers will match you with Talkspace based on the following criteria:
- Current participation in Scholarship Programs, Alumni-network Fellowship Programs, and Alumni Entrepreneurs who are un-or-under-insured.
- An alumni’s desire for short-term (less than 6 months) or long-term (more than 6 months) of mental health support.
About the Program Managers
Who is Erica Martinez-Close?
Erica Martinez-Close is a KIPP Foundation program manager and internationally certified wellness practitioner. Click here to learn more information about Erica.
Who is Jamelfrey Pacheco?
Jamelfrey Pacheco is the Director of the National KIPP Alumni Network. Click here to learn more about Jamelfrey.
Important Contact Information
If you are in crisis, please seek immediate help.
Emergency Medical Services, 911
If the situation is potentially life-threatening, get immediate emergency assistance by calling 911, available 24 hours a day.
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
If you or someone you know is suicidal or in emotional distress, contact the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. Trained crisis workers are available to talk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your confidential and toll-free call goes to the nearest crisis center in the Lifeline national network. These centers provide crisis counseling and mental health referrals.
Call or text 988 or go to 988lifeline.org.
General Inquiries: Please contact the Alumni Network team at Alumni@kipp.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. On the Talkspace platform, privacy and safety are always our first consideration We deploy a variety of techniques to ensure that you and your data are always kept safe and confidential, and our technology is fully compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). All data is encrypted on the servers, and all communication between our software and the servers is encrypted. The Talkspace app requires you to enter your password and allows you to create a unique passcode for extra security. If you have a device that supports fingerprint authentication, we also have a feature that recognizes your fingerprint.
Yes. Talkspace will not share your information with your organization. In order to protect confidentiality according to HIPAA, we require all users to create a unique nickname during the registration process, which is only shared with their therapists. You can determine whether you want your therapist to call you by your first name or nickname during therapy. While Talkspace will not share your information with your organization, we do require every user to submit emergency contact information, which is only accessed according to safety and reporting mandates.
Absolutely. Talkspace has an extensive, nationwide network of thousands of licensed mental health providers, credentialed in accordance with NCQA standards. All Talkspace therapists have been carefully vetted and trained on the platform, and have an average of 7-10 years of experience, post-supervision, providing therapy.
Talkspace constantly monitors both engagement quality and clinical outcomes to ensure that all of our users are receiving the best possible care. By tracking this data, we are able to strengthen our matching process to ensure that you will be matched with a therapist who will support you in making the greatest progress. Not only are all of our therapists rigorously vetted, but every therapist who is part of the Talkspace provider network undergoes an extensive onboarding process to ensure that they are able to apply their skills effectively.
Yes. You will maintain an ongoing relationship with the same therapist unless you request a change.
Messaging between users and Talkspace therapists is asynchronous, meaning that users and therapists do not communicate in real time. You can reach out to your therapist as often as you need to (and at any time of day), and expect to hear back from your therapist within one working day, during their business hours, five days per week. If your therapist is responding less frequently than daily/five days a week, please contact the Talkspace support team at email@example.com.
Yes. To switch therapists, please follow the steps below:
- Log into the Talkspace website directly at www.talkspace.com using a web browser.
- Once logged in, click on your username in the upper right corner of the screen. This will bring up a new menu, on which you can click on “My Account.”
- In the “My Private Rooms” section, go to the row with the word “Therapist,” and click on “Change” found on the right side of that row.
- Keep in mind that you can choose whether to share your previous therapy notes/transcripts with your new therapist.
- Log into the Talkspace app with your email address and password.
- Once logged into their private room, you can select the menu icon, three lines on the left side of the screen, or slide to the right to find the menu where you can select “MyAccount” or “Settings”.
- On the My Account or Settings page, select “Change Therapist.”
- Users can choose whether to share their previous therapy notes/transcripts with their new therapist. If you require assistance, you can email partners at firstname.lastname@example.org directly, and the Talk space support team will work with you to secure a new therapist. This can take up to three business days.