|KIPP School Summit Gala Awards Ceremony 2009 |
Each year, KIPP recognizes outstanding educators, students and partners as one component of the KIPP School Summit Gala. After sharing dinner and enjoying the amazing performances of the KIPP Infinity Dance Team, the gala attendees celebrated the following individuals in an awards ceremony. The KIPP Foundation is honored to recognize their contributions and successes.
KIPP Excellence in Teaching Awards
Ten KIPP teachers from a pool of nearly 1,000 KIPP educators were recognized with the KIPP Excellence in Teaching Award; each received $10,000 from the KIPP Foundation as part of the award recognition. The selected teachers have a proven track record for improving student achievement, inspiring other teachers, and displaying passion and commitment to their schools and to the KIPP mission in helping all students climb the mountain to college. The ten teachers are:
- Thomas Brunzell, KIPP Infinity Academy, New York, NY
- Andrea DeAngelo, KIPP Academy Lynn, Lynn, MA
- Jay Gowen, KIPP Aspire Academy, San Antonio, TX
- Freddy Kullman, KIPP Believe College Prep, New Orleans, LA
- Michelle Lyons, KIPP DIAMOND Academy, Memphis, TN
- Kristi Meyer, KIPP Endeavor Academy, Kansas City, MO
- Ranjana Reddy, Rise Academy, Newark, NJ
- Hannah Schneider, KIPP DC: LEAP Academy, Washington, DC
- Karima Wilson, KIPP Sharpstown College Prep, Houston, TX
- Esther Winbush, TEAM Academy, Newark, NJ
Doris Fisher KIPPster of the Year Awards
Created by the family of KIPP board member, Gap Inc. co-founder, and philanthropist Doris Fisher to bestow in her honor, the Doris Fisher KIPPster of the Year Award is an annual award given to up to six students from KIPP schools across the country.
Recipients are chosen based on their embodiment of characteristics such as excellence in academic achievement, leadership in their school and their community, and character as demonstrated in their ability to make a positive impact on their fellow classmates and others in the community.
Thanks to the continued generosity of the Fisher family, each recipient receives $10,000 to be used toward college expenses.
The following six students from KIPP schools across the nation were presented with the 2009 KIPPster of the Year award:
- Jennifer, KIPP DC: AIM Academy, Washington, DC
- Crystal, KIPP Bridge Charter School, Oakland, CA
- Azariah, KIPP Academy Nashville, Nashville, TN
- Mario, KIPP San Francisco Bay Academy, San Francisco, CA
- Leandro, KIPP Academy Lynn, Lynn, MA
- Paola, KIPP Academy New York, Bronx, NY
The Giving Tree and Beyond Z awards
KIPP has many outstanding partners that make the work at the Foundation and across the network possible; the Giving Tree and Beyond Z awards recognize such partners.
Richard Barth presents the Giving Tree Award
In 2009, the KIPP Foundation recognized Jodi Aarmodt, Kin Gill, and Jeff Armes with the Beyond Z Award. This award, in the tradition of the Dr. Seuss book, On Beyond Zebra, honors a member or members of the school community who go above and beyond for the benefit of children.
The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation was awarded the Giving Tree Award for its partnership with KIPP. The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein, is a tale of unconditional love and generosity. The award that bears its name represents KIPP’s gratitude for the generous and visionary support of our donors.
Thank you to these and each of KIPP’s partners for all that you do.
Photos by Nicholas Alan Cope